L’Monc’ in piazz’…..e adè chi paga….

Published by admin on

Fountain of Neptune
The monk in the square

In the splendid Piazza Roma, a meeting point for the Senigallians who love the aperitif and the “struscio” of the late afternoon, a real swarming agora, is the heart of the city government, located in the seventeenth-century Palazzo del Governo. Built by order of Francesco Maria II Della Rovere in 1609, designed by the Urbino architect Muzio Oddi, it overlooks the square, highlighting its powerful lines in their simplicity.

Opposite, the Fountain of Neptune is clearly visible, commonly called by the Senigallians “l’monc’ in piazz” (the monk in piazza) because of the lack of the upper limbs. It seems to assist, relegated to silent witness, the movement that surrounds it, attracting tourists and not ready to frame it in memorable photographs. Found at sea, even today experts have not been able to give it a precise artistic location, cataloguing the work as baroque or Roman, while according to others it is the work of the school of Gianbologna. Even more doubts about why Neptune no longer has arms. One of the hypotheses put forward is that they were amputated by angry citizens for the reinstatement of taxes after years of exemption.

On it hovers the famous marked irony of the Senigallians that used on many occasions refers to who precisely should do or pay something indicating “the monc ‘in the square” … as if to say … pays him … that not having the arts to perform the action, resulting in imaginative witty imaginations.

tellingstones.org/map/BACK TO THE TELLINGSTONES

Back to map

This content is also available in: Italiano (Italian)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.