Garofalo House – The Hut
GAROFALO – LA CAPANNA
Widely modified and enlarged. The typical inverted V shape of the roof remains recognizable.
Located in: Viale Vittorio Veneto 81
A different story from the others ……. The birth of Milano Marittima, The Garden city.
His birth is relatively recent, but very interesting indeed. It all
began in the early 1900s, when Cervia was still a small town of just 9,000
inhabitants (today around 35,000). Its economy was linked to the collection and
production of salt in salt pans, agriculture in the fields and fishing. This
situation of poverty or low income made its population largely illiterate.
Already in the last 20 years of the nineteenth century tourism on the Riviera began to develop, above all thanks to the improvement of living conditions (malaria was eradicated) and thanks to the construction of the railway. In 1907 the municipality of Cervia and the Milanese firm Maffei signed an agreement for the sale of a vast area along the coast, uncultivated and unused. The Maffei company was obliged by the dealer to build villas, parks and gardens, with the aim of creating a new bathing area, called Milano Marittima.
A picture Liberty Style of Milano Marittima.
1911 the “Società Milano Marittima per lo sviluppo della spiaggia di
Cervia” was founded, of which the famous Liberty painter and poster
designer Giuseppe Palanti was also a member. The same artist proposed the idea
of a Garden City, where the houses would have to blend perfectly with the pine
forest. In short, a modern holiday town for the Lombard bourgeoisie. Palanti’s
villa is still visible in Milano Marittima.
At that time, urban development began, interrupted only by the First World War. In 1927 Cervia was recognized by a ministerial decree as a “Health Resort, Stay and Tourism”, thanks also to Milano Marittima. From that year on, the construction of villas, but also of the first hotels, colonies and restaurants continued until the Second World War.
This content is also available in: Italiano (Italian)