We have news of this villa in 1932 from a project by the surveyor Antonio Lugaresi. In 1939 Mr. Colmegna will build a terrace instead of the stairway to the right. To date it has remained unchanged.
Located in Via Rismondi 5
The birth of Milano Marittima: the “city garden”.
Its history, relatively recent, is really very interesting. It all began in the early 1900s. Cervia was still a small town of just 9,000 inhabitants (today about 35,000). Its economy was mainly linked to the collection and production of salt, agriculture and fishing. Misery and illiteracy characterized the social environment.
Things began to change at the end of the 1920s with the beginning of the development of tourism. Among the factors that contributed, being able to eradicate malaria and the improvement of connections, with the construction of the railway.
In 1907, the municipality of Cervia and the Maffei company of Milan signed an agreement for the transfer of a vast area along the coast, unused and uncultivated. The Maffei company was obliged by the concessionaire to build villas, parks and gardens, with the aim of creating a new bathing area, called Milano Marittima.
A picture Liberty Style of Milano Marittima.
In 1911 the “Società Milano Marittima per lo sviluppo della spiaggia di Cervia” was founded, of which the famous Liberty painter and poster designer Giuseppe Palanti was also a member. The same artist proposed the idea of a Garden City, where the houses would have to blend perfectly with the pine forest. In short, a modern holiday town for the Lombard bourgeoisie. Palanti’s villa is still visible in Milano Marittima.
At that time, urban development began, interrupted only by the First World War. In 1927 Cervia was recognized by a ministerial decree as a “Health Resort, Stay and Tourism”, thanks also to Milano Marittima. From that year on, the construction of villas, but also of the first hotels, colonies and restaurants continued until the Second World War.
This content is also available in: Italiano (Italian)